Sunday, September 13, 2009

Import Outlook email into Gmail

Need to move your Outlook email into Gmail? I give credit to this guys post but wanted to document it here as well.

This was only proven to work with Outlook and only for email that was in Outlook, but I would guess that any IMAP capable email application should work.
  1. Configure your Gmail account for IMAP.
    1. Logon to Gmail.
    2. Click "Settings" in the top right corner.
    3. Click the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab.
    4. In the IMAP Access section, select "Enable IMAP".
    5. Click the "Configure instructions" link to popup the IMAP configuration instructions in a new window for step 2.
    6. Click the "Save Changes" button.
  2. Configure your email application using the instructions from 1e above.
  3. Fire up your email application.
  4. Create folders in the Gmail account for your old email.
  5. Move the email from the old email folders to the Gmail folders and tada! J
This method retains all date info etc. and seems to be perfect! Enjoy…

2 comments:

Alexis said...

My brother mansioned about interesting program, which could solve my old troubles. I didn't believe him. But today I tried it and understand my fault. I thanked him a lot and on my view this software might resolve similar condition also - repair ost.

lauren said...

Thanks for summing up the steps used to import outlook email into Gmail but as you mentioned that any IMAP capable email application should work.Have you tested any?
digital certificates