Sunday, September 13, 2009

Windows 7 Homegroup printing problems

Recently installed Windows 7 on a laptop and desktop computer at home. I really like the new Homegroups because they make sharing files so much easier. I had some issues getting my ancient HP LaserJet 5P printer installed though through the homegroup. I expected to maybe have to install it as a normal network printer so I ran the add printer wizard on the laptop after I had successfully installed the printer on the desktop where it's attached via a standard printer cable to the COM port.  The printer wizard couldn't find it. Luckily windows help was actually complete and helpful. Under why can't I print to my homegroup printer one of the tips mentioned this:

The printer has a non-USB connection and must be shared using Devices and Printers in Control Panel

Sure enough, I went to printer properties and shared the printer on the desktop and it just showed up on the laptop. I didn't even have to run the add printer wizard. Way to go MS on finally making home networking simple enough that an average user should be able to do it! Although I may live to regret that statement since I supplement my income by doing home tech support!

1 comment:

lauren said...

I too agree with you and I really loved Windows 7 Homegroups because they make sharing files so much easier.But I am too facing printer issue.You solved the issue.Thanks
electronic signature software